The Wizard of Waterdeep is Gale’s companion quest in Baldur’s Gate 3. You can immediately see it in the journal, but there is a chance you can’t find a way to start it.
That might happen because there is a secret way to activate this quest, and that’s what we’re going to show you.
This guide will talk about how to trigger and how to properly finish the Wizard of Waterdeep in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Starting the Quest
To start and activate the quest, you need Gale to die. This is better done when there are no enemies around to interfere.
- Ungroup Gale from your party if he is already grouped up with you.
- Simply use Gale and make him die.
You can either make him jump over cliffs until he dies or use his own spells against him.
For instance, you can cast the Grease spell on the floor where only Gale is standing and ignite it with a Fire Bolt spell.
Once dead, Gale’s projection will show up and trigger an interaction. Listen to all of Gale’s humorous lines as he is the one with the eccentric personality among the companions.
His projection will instruct you on how to bring him back by following a bunch of weirdly specific instructions. Once this interaction is over, the Wizard of the Waterdeep quest will start.
This is the list of tasks you must accomplish:
- Retrieve a pouch Gale carried
- Pull the purple thread in a counterclockwise fashion
- Open the pouch and read the scroll
- Right-click on the flute and select “Play the flute”
- Position your fingers on the flute, ready to play individual notes
- Play the following letters in this order: “D-E-A-D”
- Answer K’ha’ssji’trach’ash, which is the second one
- Deliver Gale’s letter to the Magma Mephit
- Use Scroll of True Resurrection to bring Gale back
After resurrecting Gale with the Scroll of True Resurrection, you’ll have finished the Wizard of Waterdeep’s “In Case of Death” sub-quest.
Since the quest doesn’t force you to use the Scroll of True Resurrection, you can use the Scroll of Revivify to bring Gale back. Doing so will prompt an interaction with Gale and finish the quest.
Doing this can help you in the future. The Scroll of True Resurrection brings characters back to life with all their Hit Points, making it more useful during important fights.
Make sure to save the game before attempting just to be safe.
How to Unlock Gale
To unlock Gale, you need to finish the intro and leave the ship at the start of a playthrough.
You will land near a shore and just head straight until you see a purple rune engraved into a stone. Then, Gale will show up and talk to you.
If you are playing as a wizard, he will say that you already have a wizard in the party, but he will still be available in the camp.